Thursday, March 10, 2011

Idea: Separation


Separation is a new word I'm using to help describe my concept. "Isolation" was not  working the way I had originally intended, so I feel it's important to rewrite my artist statement and reword the way I describe my work in critiques. In my photographs I want to show the idea of something there that no longer is, something that was whole that is now separate... 

Bibliography
Clark, Sharon, PhD, Symons, Douglas, PhD. Representations of Attachment Relationships, the Self, and Significant Others in Middle Childhood. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry; 2009, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p316-321, 6p, 2 Charts

This study examines the effects of positive and negative attachment and relationships among children and their caregivers. It suggests that these relationships have a direct effect on the individuals self worth and effect his or her relationships with others. 

Quotes from study:
"When needs are met either inconsistently or in an angry fashion by parents, children come to expect that they are not worthy of care. When needs are met consistently, children come to expect they are worthy of care and they can count on others in times of need, which is an element of secure attachment."

"Insecurity manifests itself as negative social behavior."

"More needs to be known about how attachment relationships are related to children's thoughts and feelings about themselves and their interactions with social partners within those relationships."


Maia Flore
from the series Mia Och Flore

This work is particularly interesting to me as a twin. When thinking about separation, I think a lot about being a twin and what it means to be part of a whole (I mean we started out as one embryo...) and what it means now to soon be living eight hours away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers